Downward Angle Receiving
- Promote a pronated (thumb down) glove position and extension to the baseball on low pitches.
- Utilize all stances: RKD/LKD, traditional secondary
- Pitches should be thrown from height at the player's feet.
- Player should contact the baseball with arm extended and wrist above the baseball.
- Present pitches at chin height
- Glove pocket should face pitcher at all times (no thumb roll)
- Work center, glove-side, and arm-side pitches
- 27" Trainer Glove - Use a small 27" trainer glove to promote better pocket contact.
- Donut (no-hinge) Glove - Use a Donut (no-hinge) trainer glove to promote softer hands at contact. Will also help with players who miss the pocket palm or finger side.
- Wrist Weight / Weighted Glove - Use a wrist weight or a weighted trainer glove to promote a more efficient approach to the baseball.
- Dunce Cap - Place a glove or cone on top of the catcher's mask. The player should try to complete the catch without the glove/cone falling off their head. Useful in eliminating excessive or jerky head movement.
- Horizontal Band for Finish Target - Place a horizontal band or string approx. 4-5in above the bottom of the strike zone and 7-8" in front of the catcher's mask. Players should present the baseball with the back of their hand touching the band.